Testing water quality is important if you want to enjoy a clear pool all summer long. So choose a good tester to check the pH and chlorine value of your pool. We will help you make the right choice!
Which tester is best for measuring the pH and chlorine value of your pool?
Manual versus digital testers
Before you can choose a specific tester, you must first decide whether you prefer a manual or digital tester.
- Cheaper to buy
- Less accurate
- Difficult to see differences clearly through colour analyses
- More expensive
- Greater accuracy
- Device shows precise values
Manual test kit or test strips
If you opt for a manual test, you can choose from 2 types. You can either test the water quality with a test kit using droplets or via test strips.
Manual test procedure
The test kit is very simple to use:
- You fill the test kit tubes with water from the pool. Don’t take the water from the surface but put the test kit at least one forearm deep into the water.
- Remove the test kit from the water and add 5 drops of the phenol liquid to measure the pH value, then add 5 drops of the OTO liquid to measure the chlorine value.
- Close the test kit tubes and shake well with the test kit so that the droplets spread evenly.
- Wait a few seconds (see enclosed manual) and analyse the result. When doing this, hold the test kit against a white background. This makes the analysis easier.
- Store the test kit in a dark place at a constant temperature and renew the test liquids annually.
For test strips the process is similar:
- Remove a test strip from the sealed packaging and dip it into the water. Insert the test strip at least one forearm deep into the water.
- Remove the test strip from the water and shake for a few seconds.
- After a few seconds (see packaging) you can compare the result of the test strips with the test strip box.
- Store the test strips and the box in a dark place at a constant temperature and check the expiry date of the test strips after each test.
|Measures||Chlorine and pH||Chlorine, pH, alkalinity and cyanuric acid|
|Number of tests that can be made||250||50|
Difference between digital testers
In our range you will find 3 digital testers: the Aquacheck Trutest, the Scuba II from Lovibond and the Blue by Riiot Labs. The prices of these testers vary from just over €50 to several hundred euro. This price difference is due to a difference in accuracy, durability and the options associated with the devices. We give an overview below.
|Accuracy||Less accurate||100% accurate||100% accurate|
|Duration||Easy to test in 1 min||Easy to test in 5 min||Live monitoring of water quality via the app|
|Measures||chlorine, pH value and total alkalinity||chlorine, pH, alkalinity and cyanuric acid||pH level, chlorine value, temperature, salt content and conductivity|
|Our assessment||6.5/10||9/10||8.5/10 (because of higher purchase price)|
The Blue Connect Plus has a higher purchase price than the other testers because it has a lot of extra features. The device must be connected to the application on your smartphone. The Blue then measures the quality of your water every hour, fully automatically. The device transmits this information via its own free Internet connection. This way you can check the quality of the pool water while you’re away.
But the Blue Connect Plus does more than just monitoring. It also provides you with a step-by-step plan to improve your water quality via the application. So you can be sure you’re not doing anything wrong. So the Blue by Riiot is more than just an analyser.
Make your choice not only depending on the price but also on what you really want. If you want to perform a simple test, you’re best off using the test kit. That’s what our technicians do to quickly check water quality.
If you opt for accuracy, Lovibond’s Scuba II offers the best value for money. The device is 100% accurate and relatively easy to use.
If you choose ease of use, the Blue Connect Plus is your best option. You let the device float in the water and no longer need to get your hands dirty checking the water quality. Simply opening the application is sufficient, and the device also provides you with a step-by-step plan to adjust the water quality.